[wp-hackers] A third action for plugins

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Nov 26 16:19:49 GMT 2007

Uninstalling should _not_ be automatic when simple deactivating a
plugin!  I might want to re-activate it, and would hate to keep
losing all my settings.

As some have suggested, it should be a user action -- an "uninstall"
button, basically.

Also:

On Nov 24, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Jacob wrote:

>> Sort of like there is no uninstall on OS X for applications.
>
> Don't you just like, move them to the trash?

You remove the application by tossing it in the trash, but many apps
keep data and prefs in /Library/Application Support or /Library/
Preferences (or the ~/ equivalents).

> I heard that basically what you think is an executable is basically
> not.

You are correct, in a sense.  OS X has "packages, which are folders
that act like clickable executables.  Thus all the various and sundry
support files for a program can be contained "within" the program.
Very tidy indeed.

Stephen