[wp-hackers] Excluding pages/posts from search

Hacker Scot shacker at birdhouse.org
Wed Nov 21 06:07:12 GMT 2007

> From: Alex King <lists at alexking.org>
> Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Excluding pages/posts from search

> What I'm proposing is a standard way for all of these features and
> functions (and plugins, like the sitemaps plugin) to know to exclude
> this page by default.

What if there were a boolean "searchable" field in each of wp_posts,
wp_comments, wp_users, and possibly other tables as necessary.

0 = not searchable
1 = searchable

WP could keep its current default search behavior by setting these
values to the current standards (posts yes, pages no, comments no).
But with that small amount of metadata available for all content
types, a good Search Enhancer plugin could do all of:

- Provide a "Searchable?" checkbox in all post, page, and comment
editing interfaces (granularity)
- Let the admin change the site-wide defaults
- Let the admin batch-edit current settings (e.g. turn all comments
searchability on or off)

A lot of functionality could be made available to search plugins with
a few small table modifications and very little change to WP core.

./s