[wp-hackers] Wordpress Cookie Authentication Vulnerability

Stephane Daury wordpress at tekartist.org
Tue Nov 20 20:48:50 GMT 2007

Password salting shouldn't be based on a computer generated algorithm
like in the submitted patch.
Anything generated can ultimately be emulated and cracked.

But if that's deemed acceptable, a quick and backward compatible
(PHP4+5) salt is as follow: uniqid(microtime(),true).

The *better* (accepted) way is to use a user generated salt string
instead, like a passphrase in PGP, GPG, etc.

Stephane