[wp-hackers] iPhone Content Winner

Stephane Daury wordpress at tekartist.org
Thu Nov 15 14:56:50 GMT 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 9:20, Sam Bauers wrote:

> On 15/11/2007, at 11:19 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
>
>> I must admit, there's a great deal to having an OPEN SDK right now,
>> with known license and usage restrictions
>
> Shame there aren't any phones to actually run the code that's
> developed...

Well, technically, that'd be "consumer level" phones. A wider aray of
devs outside of Google are also bound to have access to prototypes
relatively shortly, OpenMoko style.

> Apple has a large install base of 1.4 million+ and don't forget that
> iPhones have teh sexy. Seriously, I don't think good SDKs sell
> handsets. I do understand your grievances about Apple, but they have
> a good brand, tight UI and great industrial design, I think that's
> all they need in this space.

Can't really disagree with this though.

> But to bring this back to a kind of WordPress oriented discussion. I
> wouldn't spend any time on a WPhone style Android application until
> there is a market for them beyond a few developers inside of Google.
> I don't think this is a no-brainer direction for developers like the
> iPhone was.

Yup, that makes sense too, unless you're in the prize money market,
and is why I'll personally focus on WPhone for that platform for now.
What it comes down to is that the web based paradigm works well, and
has the advantage of being cross-platform.

I have bigger plans (read: pipe dreams) for Android anyway. ;)

> Oh... congratulations on winning the contest by the way. Do you plan
> to combine efforts with the other entrants to make a super-dooper
> plugin?

Thanks. :)

re: merging/combining: Ultimately, if it makes sense for the product
and the user base, I'm still all for it.

Stephane