Extend options.php to allow deletion, Viewing of Serialized, And grouping options (was: [wp-hackers] adding delete/autoload to options.php)

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Nov 9 23:17:34 GMT 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:34:53 +1100, Ozh <ozh at planetozh.com> wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2007 11:43 AM, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
>> Heres the ticket:
>> http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5316
>
> That's a fun hack
>
> What would really be worth it would be allowing editing of serialized
> data, just like you can edit non serialized stuff. Could be a possible
> UI nightmare, depending on the approach you would take to do it,
> though.

Would be fun, It would be possible if it was a serialized array.. might even be possible if its a serialized object.. But i'm thinking theres too many possibilities where that could go wrong, I've wanted to remove a single entry from serialized arrays without removing the entire value a fewtimes now i think of it.. So i may well look into that (Dont hold your breathe though :P)

> I'd also suggest some layout rework, to make things more simple &
> usable (for instance on wide screen the checkboxes are way too far on
> the left, the centering of option names makes no sense and is ugly --
> yes, I know, the original page was like this, etc...)

Yeah, I was thinking the same honestly, I was trying to keep to the same UI layout for the proposal, just to save the extra layout work.
(Was also going to do Select All/Deselect All instead of Invert, But time ran out)

> For what my opinion on this is worth, I'd be in favor of making this
> core, since it cannot do more harm than the regular options.php page,
> which is "hidden" anyway.

My thoughts exactly, it doesnt do more harm, yet allows users much more control over the options.

I'll be happy to hear others comments on layout or functionality, Heck, someone else can even write it up if they want :)
I'll take everything on board and write some more stuff up later next week.