[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Mon May 21 20:39:32 GMT 2007

> I'd say that most people on this list are more technically inclined
> than the majority of WP users. They actually know to use PHP5. :P

Sorry, in an attempt to clarify, you're saying that (1) users need to know PHP to use WordPress, and (2) PHP5 is harder to use than PHP4?  Neither of those ring true to me.

I think it's time to lose the fear of PHP5, especially given the 2008 timeframe.  I'm guessing that the vast majority of us have been running WP under PHP5 for quite some time, and it obviously works great.  Most hosts support PHP5 now, and if we decide that WordPress 3 will require it, the rest will have a comfortable year to follow.

Let's stop waffling and go with PHP5 for WordPress 3.  It's good for WordPress, good for PHP (which we all presumably want to see advance and thrive), and we'll take steps to make sure it's as good as PHP4 for users.

-- Charles