[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

Matt speedboxer at gmail.com
Sun May 20 01:08:49 GMT 2007

On 5/19/07, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> > On 5/17/07, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> There is one nice solution for the "marketing problem" that I keep
> >> throwing out there every couple months:  WordPress 2008.  Do it like
> >> a sports video game franchise does it.  For multiple releases within
> >> a year, we can do WordPress 2007.2 or WordPress 2007b.   This works
> >> well with our new 4-month cycle.  And people will be made aware of
> >> exactly how long it has been since they've upgraded.
> >

> > Year based versioning really only works for bigger, better know
> companies
> > who release a new version every year or every few years. You barley ever
> > heard Office 12, but you do hear Office 2007.
>
> That's nonsense, Matt.
>
> I'd venture a guess and say that WordPress is "bigger and more well
> known" than Gentoo & co. - and WordPress definitely releases more often.
>
> While I agree that WP shouldn't be year-versioned, I disagree with your
> reasons. I don't hear of OpenOffice 2008 nor Firefox 2002.

Yes, but "bigger, better known companies" don't release as often you see.
So, yearly based versioning works for them. WP releases new versions a
couple times a year (or know, it is), so we'd end up with something like WP
2007.2.1.

Yearly versioning works great for Anti-Virus software, because then they can
sell their software to the same customers, even if barley anything has
changed. Do we want that to happen with WP? No.

--
Matt (speedboxer at gmail.com)
http://mattsblog.ca/ | http://livemp.net/