[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

Matt speedboxer at gmail.com
Sat May 19 07:09:44 GMT 2007

On 5/17/07, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:

> There is one nice solution for the "marketing problem" that I keep
> throwing out there every couple months:  WordPress 2008.  Do it like
> a sports video game franchise does it.  For multiple releases within
> a year, we can do WordPress 2007.2 or WordPress 2007b.   This works
> well with our new 4-month cycle.  And people will be made aware of
> exactly how long it has been since they've upgraded.

Year based versioning really only works for bigger, better know companies
who release a new version every year or every few years. You barley ever
heard Office 12, but you do hear Office 2007.

> The problem with skipping numbers is that before you know it, you're
> shipping WordPress 14.5, which just reeks of version inflation.  What
> makes good marketing sense for 2.2-to-3.0 bites you in the ass down
> the road.
>
> My first choice, though is to stick with 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 until
> we're ready to rewrite 50% of the code and really break stuff for a
> groundbreaking, spoon-bending, mind-blowing 3.0 release.

I agree. If you look at some programs, they're at like v15 and they still
suck. I think we should stick to the +0.1 versioning for now, and consider
WP3 when we're ready to make MAJOR changes.

We could always take what's in the trunk right now, put it in a branch
called 2.3 and then take the trunk and make it WP3. So we could slowing
start working on WP3, but still have our main focus as 2.3.

--
Matt (speedboxer at gmail.com)
http://mattsblog.ca/ | http://livemp.net/