[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Sat May 19 00:16:12 GMT 2007

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> On May 17, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Lloyd Budd wrote:
> My first choice, though is to stick with 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 until
> we're ready to rewrite 50% of the code and really break stuff for a
> groundbreaking, spoon-bending, mind-blowing 3.0 release.

I'm not sure about 50% of the code rewritten milestone, but I'm in this
camp too.  If it was decided that protecting WordPress with nonces
wasn't important enough to the community to bump the version, I don't
think bumping the version for less substatial reasons is a good idea.

Since we are throwing out ideas, one obvious thing that I'd like to see
in a 3.0 release is a MySQL 5 requirement.  MySQL 5 has some substantial
benefits and planning for it early might allow to design features with
that in mind.  What could we do with bit fields and a stored procedure
that allows us to use them as bit masks?  What new features could adding
triggers to the database give us?

Knowing things like that are going to be available should help the
design process.  Heck, now that 2.2 is out, 4.1's subqueries alone
should make some problems a lot easier to solve.

Brian Layman
b5media Inc.
www.b5Media.com / www.TheCodeCave.com
Skype: BrianLayman