[wp-hackers] Re: SOAP Interface and moving to php 5

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Fri May 18 19:58:52 GMT 2007

On 5/18/07, Steve Lewis <stevelle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
> >
> > On 5/18/07, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The second one's not a bug, but I take your point in re: PHP5 and bugs.
> >
> > It's a back-compat problem that busted lots of apps.
>

> Sorta like taking WP and making it PHP5-only will bust a lot of blogs...
>
> Further, its usually "bogus" bugs that cause the most pain.  PHP5
> > changes the shutdown sequence, breaks everyone, and says this is the
> > new way, deal with it.
> >

> The other end of the spectrum is Java where the language is being held back
> from providing clear improvements, and the JRE becomes even more bloated, by
> the need for "backward compatibility" at all costs, even on long-deprecated
> APIs.
>
> Damned if you do...

But now that Java is GPL'd, we'll be able to take the bloat out and
make Java the reigning king of languages, capable of crushing all
comers!

Then, the magic unicorn of the Metaverse will come down and sprinkle
us all with fairy dust and we'll be able to fly to the moon and...

/me fiendishly chuckles under his breath

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/