[wp-hackers] Re: SOAP Interface and moving to php 5

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri May 18 19:45:50 GMT 2007

On 5/18/07, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> The second one's not a bug, but I take your point in re: PHP5 and bugs.

It's a back-compat problem that busted lots of apps.

> Are you saying, though, that there is no utility to moving to PHP5?
> Is WP consigned to using increasingly decrepit code?  I don't know how
> to interpret your posting of a few bugs in this discussion. Are there
> not bugs and annoyances with 4 that have been worked around countless
> times before?

"And some of the reasons why hosts stay on 4."

I'm saying these bugs are reasons more hosts don't bother with php5.
Almost every php5 dot release has broken WP and other projects.  I
can't remember the last time a php4 dot release broke anything.
Further, its usually "bogus" bugs that cause the most pain.  PHP5
changes the shutdown sequence, breaks everyone, and says this is the
new way, deal with it.

Ryan