[wp-hackers] Re: SOAP Interface and moving to php 5

Russ Gilman-Hunt (YAR) gilmanhunt at comcast.net
Fri May 18 13:54:53 GMT 2007

( A terrific discussion and lots of good points snipped for brevity. )

It's true that what you people are saying is the golden standard.
However, we can't exactly mandate what the universe of hosting
providers hands us. What we can do work with what we get. Dropping PHP4
support is a disservice just like providing only PHP4 support.

What about a wrapper around your PHP5 only code;

if ( php_version() < 5 ) {
  print "whoops, you need php 5 for this...";
  mail ( "support folks", "php 5 request", "this domain, ",
$_SERVER['HOST_NAME']." needs PHP5 for this file: ".__FILE__." can we
please get an upgrade here?" );
}
else {

// run your php5 stuff
}

In this case, we can stick php5 code into the core, and still support
php4 people. It'd require some more work to write whatever needs to
happen in the first clause, but I think if we're committed to user
support we should consider it.

Russ Gilman-Hunt
http://www.arghwebworks.com