[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 03:36:14 GMT 2007

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> On May 17, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Lloyd Budd wrote:
>
>> It is a while off, but I thought I would plant the seed now for
>> WordPress 2.3 to be branded as WordPress 3.
>
>  It's only 4 months away.  I'm not sure we can do enough of a radical
> rewrite in 3 months (remember, last month is locked down for bugs) to
> justify such a huge jump.
>
> There is one nice solution for the "marketing problem" that I keep
> throwing out there every couple months:  WordPress 2008.  Do it like a
> sports video game franchise does it.  For multiple releases within a
> year, we can do WordPress 2007.2 or WordPress 2007b.   This works well
> with our new 4-month cycle.  And people will be made aware of exactly
> how long it has been since they've upgraded.
>
> The problem with skipping numbers is that before you know it, you're
> shipping WordPress 14.5, which just reeks of version inflation.  What
> makes good marketing sense for 2.2-to-3.0 bites you in the ass down
> the road.
>
> My first choice, though is to stick with 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 until
> we're ready to rewrite 50% of the code and really break stuff for a
> groundbreaking, spoon-bending, mind-blowing 3.0 release.

I'm no coder and such, but I'll have to agree with Mark on that. ;) :)
You already have enough branches besides the trunk, just stick with what
you got now and steer those big bad boys in their right directions. If
you keep slapping more on your plates, it's only going to be more
headaches then what's already here to begin with sigh...

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net