[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira eduo at mac.com
Thu May 17 19:28:19 GMT 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Matt wrote:

> In my opinion, jumping version numbers is uncalled for; unless a total
> rewrite is done (or a significant part). For some reason it is done
> by many
> programs, for no reason. Versioning should always go in order. Eg.
> 2.0->2.1-
>> 2.2->2.3->2.4->2.5->2.6->2.7->2.8->2.9->3.0.
>
> I think that this should only be done if WP is going to be
> significantly
> different. Eg. Making it faster, better DB structure, new bundled
> themes,
> possibly more bundled plugins (WordPress.Com Stats plugin), changes
> to the
> Admin panel, etc.

I have never liked the idea that there are ten subversions in a
version. This also flies against all practical evidence. I think the
problem is probably thinking of subversions as decimals. 2.10 and
2.27 are valid version numbers.

What triggers a full version change is not that we've reached .9
before, but, traditionally, that there are fundamental changes, both
visible and architecturally, that mean we're dealing with a new
program, not a minor evolution but one with substantial differences
to the previous one.

A good example would be Gallery. I think the only thing they kept
from version 1.x to 2.x was some logo files. Everything else was re-
architected to a degree that there are effectively two branches now.
1.x still gets updates while the main focus is 2.x.

If you're talking money then 2.9 is followed by 3 (or, rather, 2.99
by 3). If you're talking versioning, you keep pumping out sub-
versions while you keep fixing the program (2.x.x). New features are
marked by minor version revisions (2.x) and major features and
changes are marked by major versiones (X.0)

Eduo