[wp-hackers] OT: MySQL optimization

Barry Abrahamson barry at automattic.com
Tue May 8 19:54:44 GMT 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Chris Williams wrote:

> The one "gotcha" is that the database is now 9gb...  a 50% increase
> in size.
> Ouch.

In MySQL 5.0 the "compact" row format for InnoDB.  Not sure which
version you are using but that may help you get some of your space back.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/data-size.html

In our experience, converting from MyISAM to InnoDB using the compact
row format resulted in a 20% increase in size, as opposed to the 50%
increase you get when using the old, "redundant" row format.  I have
heard others say that the compact row format actually took up *more*
space than the old format, so YMMV.

Barry