[wp-hackers] Parameterized Wordpress themes

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:10:04 GMT 2007

> > How are theme developers handling paramterized themes? For instance. I'd
> > like to allow theme users to set any or all of the following:
> >
> > 1. URL of sidebar image
> > 2. Amazon associates ID
> > 3. Background color
> > 4. Whether or not to show the blogroll
> > etc.
> >
> > I'd like to be able to write a theme that has a nice forms UI for
> > supplying data like this; ideally one integrated with the WordPress
> > admin panel.
> >
> > The customization options should be stored outside the theme directory
> > so upgrading a theme doesn't nuke preexisting options.
> >
> > Is this possible short of writing a plugin juts for the use of the theme?

I posted briefly on how I'm approaching it here:
http://literalbarrage.org/blog/archives/2007/05/03/a-theme-tip-for-wordpress-theme-authors/

The Geshi code highlighting plugin I'm using doesn't seem to be
working correctly for large blocks of code, so unfortunately I've
disabled those blocks for now, but if you DL the attached file, you
can take a look at how I'm approaching it.

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/