[wp-hackers] Annotation plugin: looking for help

Joel Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Thu Mar 22 01:01:24 GMT 2007

I'm looking for help from an experienced WP plugin author in creating an
annotation plugin. I have a very clear idea of what exactly must be
done, I just need some help from a sympathetic party to get there.

The plugin will be based on the existing Marginalia code, and will
feature the ability for (authenticated) users to select an arbitrary
range of text and give a small side comment about it. This comment will
be displayed in a sidebar.

Marginalia: http://code.google.com/p/marginalia/

The system will consist of:

* A bit of Javascript from the Marginalia project (handles selection,
display, UI, etc.; already complete)
* A theme with an open sidebar (just an appropriate <div>, pretty much)
* Backend code (the WP plugin) that sits between the JS and the DB

The plugin will need to do the following things:

* Insert a bit of formatting into an article when submitted (just some
<divs>)
* Do a store/edit/retrieve function with the DB
* Make sure user authentication is honored (check rights, etc.)

The ultimate goal will be a public site allowing annotations of
user-submitted documents.

If you're interested, let me know.

Thanks,

--