[wp-hackers] Another bug as a result of markup in titles

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Mar 18 14:55:20 GMT 2007

Jennifer Hodgdon wrote:

> Just a note... If someone proposes a fix for these bugs regarding markup
> in titles, please do not decide to fix it by stripping any HTML tags
> from titles before they are saved to the database. Some plugins use fake
> markup tags in titles and other text for filter indications. So the tags
> need to be saved along with the other title text, and are then filtered
> back out by the plugin before echoing into either the admin page or in
> the public page's HTML.

I think it's simpler than that. I've fixed the bug on my own site simply
by replacing a few calls to the-title with calls to the_title_rss. No
pre or postfiltering required. (Presumably the_title_rss already does
some postfiltering though better documentation would be nice.)

However, I'm now exploring what happens if the plain text contains
quotes. Stay tuned.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!