[wp-hackers] Plugin Directory

Sabin Iacob iacobs at m0n5t3r.info
Sat Mar 17 18:07:16 GMT 2007

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> There is also a minor problem with the directory structure. When
>> packaged up tag 1.2 is put into a folder in the zip called
>> /pluginname.1.2 to match the zip.  Unfortunately a lot of plugins
>> (mine included) expect to be in a particular folder within the plugins
>> directory (e.g. just /wp-content/plugins/pluginname ).
>
> Are you expecting to be in a certain folder to add a menu item?

while adding a menu item can be sorted out easily with dirname(__FILE__)
or using a function to generate the page, having each release unpack
under a different folder name adds some complexity to upgrades on the
user side (delete old folder and repeat plugin activation et al, or
rename the current one to remove version), and some added headaches on
the support side (users that don't do the added actions because of
various reasons, and I'm against attitudes like "I gave you this stuff,
figure out how to use it yourself and don't bother me, or pay me to hold
your hand" when the user's question is actually polite).