[wp-hackers] Plugin Directory

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:57:55 GMT 2007

On 17/03/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > There is also a minor problem with the directory structure. When
> > packaged up tag 1.2 is put into a folder in the zip called
> > /pluginname.1.2 to match the zip.  Unfortunately a lot of plugins
> > (mine included) expect to be in a particular folder within the plugins
> > directory (e.g. just /wp-content/plugins/pluginname ).
>
> Are you expecting to be in a certain folder to add a menu item?

It's for referencing images/etc. that are included in the plugin
package. Normally I can be fairly sure that the files would be in
~base/wp-content/plugins/plugin-name/images but with the current
folder format in the zips a user will end up with
~base/wp-content/plugins/plugin-name.x.x/images.

It looks as though it might make upgrading a bit more complicated also
- rather than overwriting, over time there would be folders for each
version (assuming people installing don't rename / copy the files
seperately).

Thanks,

Martin