[wp-hackers] port of 2.1 to postgresql

Sabin Iacob iacobs at m0n5t3r.info
Fri Mar 16 11:27:59 GMT 2007

Charles Hooper wrote:
> -1 for supporting multiple DBMSs. Alot of queries would have to be
> re-written to be strictly ANSI SQL compliant, which pretty much
> defeats the whole purpose of using one DBMS over another. I say we
> keep it strictly MySQL in order to take full advantage of MySQL's
> features.

If you only touch the database in one point (say, in db.php), it can be
made pluggable; all one needs to do is implement the database API for
their DBMS of choice, using the whole feature set they need, not ANSI
SQL. This is different from using a generic database access layer like
adodb or creole. And I consider it extremely bad practice to have SQL
guts scattered all over, especially in plugins, anyway.

So, as I see it, Wordpress should support MySQL by default, but allow
for people to provide alternative implementations. It is doable, and as
far as I've seen there is an ongoing process of cleaning up the mess and
replacing SQL code with API calls, so the future looks good :P