[wp-hackers] File names in WP base folder

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Fri Mar 16 09:00:31 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 02:27 -0500, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Update your options and move WP into a subdirectory, then set your home
> url to be the directory level up. Make sure it can write a .htaccess,
> and copy the index.php into the upper directory and correct the include
> path. I've done this for about a year now.

This may be a good way for the geeks among us, but this is not the way
how WordPress is usually installed.

I would estimate that 98% of all WordPress installations are just the
contents of the WordPress package in der DocumentRoot or a subdirectory.
And this is also the way how the documentation (readme.html and
http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress) describes the
installation.

I don't want to nag too much about this, I just wanted to ask in how far
it is planned to have some sort of standardization with the files in the
base directory. (The reason is that I actually have recently released a
WP upgrading plugin, and of course I want it to be future-proof as much
as possible.)

Regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
work: http://www.zirona.com/ | leisure: http://www.roggenrohl.net