[wp-hackers] Should OpenID be in WP core?

Alan J Castonguay alan at verselogic.net
Thu Mar 8 23:46:49 GMT 2007

I certainly think it's good to revisit how an openid consumer should
handle openid/local/anonymous commenting.

I've tried making anonymous-ish comments with the comment-type extended
like {comment,trackback,pingback,openid}, or a new column on the
comment's table, so that it can be styled differently. However, that
leaves certain other use-cases high and dry, like blog authors / admins
logging in with OpenID. That might go mostly unused for a personal
single-user blog, but certainly would be good to have in a MU
environment. So, I used the built-in role system to create local users
with the Subscriber role. It seemed the best fit, at least for
standalone. Is it too much overhead?

DD32 wrote:
> There are allready a few OpenID plugins,
> notably:http://verselogic.net/projects/wordpress/wordpress-openid-plugin/
>
> The problem it seems with that at present, is that it requires
> creating user accounts behind the scenes when a new openID user logs in.
> Idealy with openID, you dont want to create an extra account for them,
> but aparantly, your forced to due to the way WP handles users(or
> something, i cant find the reference for that right now).
>
> You might be better off just taking that plugin and extending/cleaning
> it up, i believe the author of that may've commented either here, or
> on trac about it sometime recently too.
>
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:11:16 +1100, Callum Macdonald
> <lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess before we get to the bundling question, it's clear that a
>> plugin is the way to go, so is there anyone interested in building a
>> plugin?
>>
>> I'm happy to put in some time, but I'm not particularly familiar with
>> OpenID, so if anyone wants to collaborate...
>>
>> Cheers - Callum.

Alan J Castonguay
 519.567.2633