[wp-hackers] Should OpenID be in WP core?

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:43:58 GMT 2007

On 08/03/07, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
> There are allready a few OpenID plugins,
> notably:http://verselogic.net/projects/wordpress/wordpress-openid-plugin/

Thanks for the ref.

> The problem it seems with that at present, is that it requires creating
> user accounts behind the scenes when a new openID user logs in.
> Idealy with openID, you dont want to create an extra account for them, but
> aparantly, your forced to due to the way WP handles users(or something, i
> cant find the reference for that right now).

I'm not sure this is a problem - or specific to Wordpress. I'm not
sure how a system would manage local rights management any other way -
there will always need to be a local account (record) of some sort.
The Open ID system only manages the authentication of the users while
it is the Wordpress system itself that applies the rights.

I haven't looked at that plugin yet so I could be getting the wrong
end of the stick?

> You might be better off just taking that plugin and extending/cleaning it
> up, i believe the author of that may've commented either here, or on trac
> about it sometime recently too.

I think I saw that message fly by too. Add me to the pile of people
interested in development of this too.  I know next to nothing about
Open ID implementation but from the sound of it we're talking about
improving interface and tidying up code rather than core
functionality.

Martin