[wp-hackers] Re: Google Summer of Code 2007

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Mar 8 22:50:08 GMT 2007

I was just going to look into this more today, Last time google SoC came
around i looked at the list of organisations, and honestly, couldnt see
any that i could actually help with, now this year i've been playing with
wordpress a fair bit, i might apply for it.. Just need to work out what
"task" i can do..
I mean, sure theres a lot listed on the Ideas page, but honestly, a fair
chunk of them are only small things, or are things which have been debated
over(OpenID for example).

Would anyone on here (rather than end-users) have any ideas for potential
students? for example:
   * Making sure that wordpress(And certain plugins) are xhtml valid, and
that can be serves with application/xhtml+xml (Which many dont use yet,
however, we should be moving towards that).
   *Perhaps creating a plugin update alert, could be included on the plugin
activation screen and have an extra field with the latest version number
in red if newer than the current plugin, The plugin model could be
extended to either have an extra field for retrieving a text(or xml) file
  from the plugin developers website of the latest version for that plugin,
or maybe it could be hosted on a WP server, where plugin devs can modify
it.
   * OpenID plugin, Ok despite the discussion, I honestly feel it should be
an optional default plugin, people can rant about it in the other thread,
but take a look at this for example:
http://faq.wordpress.com/2007/03/06/what-is-openid/ It'd be great to have
an option to submit OpenID comments on ALL wordpress blogs, WP.com has
started this, they allow WP.com blogs to be OpenID Identities, Thats good
enough push for me. (I gurrently delegate my glod to myopenid.com or
something with another plugin)

Ok so the last 2 are mainly ideas from the forum. but still stands, do the
devs have any core-issues(or enhacements) they wouldnt mind seeing someone
deal with?