[wp-hackers] Should OpenID be in WP core?

Elias Torres elias at torrez.us
Thu Mar 8 14:04:05 GMT 2007

Dr. Mike Wendell wrote:
> On 3/8/07, spencerp <spencerp1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Way late on this one, but I have to agree with the others... I really
>> think it should be optional, with the use of a plugin. Not in core. ;) :)
>
> I have to ask though and it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet so
> bare with me.
>
> Would OpenID take the place of controlling who had access to my own
> blogs or would that just be the method of signing in for those whom
> I've allowed access?

OpenID just provides an identity mechanism, not an access control one.
So yes, only a method of signing in for those who you have given access.

For example, on comments, the first time someone posts with a OpenID
identity it goes in the moderated queue. If you approve it, then we
could say that you've allowed her access for future posts and these will
no longer get placed in the moderated queue.

-Elias