[wp-hackers] Should OpenID be in WP core?

Alan J Castonguay alan at verselogic.net
Wed Mar 7 23:03:48 GMT 2007

As someone who often pushes Wordpress into odd not-quite-a-blog CMS-y
roles, I don't really think that OpenID support should be in core
either. However, I /do/ think it should be a default plugin for WP, WPMU
and WP.com, both as identity provider and consumer. If there's
limitations of Wordpress that can be solved with more hooks, we should
go that route.

There's some UI considerations, in particular, that I think need to be
addressed, especially with the comment form area. Maybe someone in
-hackers has the user-experience/-interface juice required.

All the code[8] I've pushed out is available under a Modified BSD
License, which can be eaten by a GPL project without issue. So, if
anyone wants to take any of that code, feel free. It really needs some
cleanup, and a whole lot of backwards-compatibility junk for 2.0.x could
be removed.

Elias Torres wrote:
> WP-Hackers,
>
> I'm new to the list but I'm a WordPress user and developer (helping with
> Atom Publishing Protocol - app.php) and have been following the OpenID
> [1] development for which I would like to restart the discussion
> [2,3,4,5,6]. See also [10]
>
> OpenID is an open, decentralized, free framework for user-centric
> digital identity. The purpose would be for users to authenticate for
> both publishing entries and comments in WordPress installations. Very
> similar to what TypeKey does, except in an open non-proprietary way.
>
> There's currently an open ticket on Trac [7] to support OpenID for both
> accounts and comments. In the comments you'll notice a great start [8]
> from Alan J Castonguay. I think that it's fair to say that we could wait
> and see for the adoption of the plugin before adding it to core, but I
> think that it'll take a long while before we have enough users using
> this style of adoption.
>
> If WP were to have this in the core, it should not only be a consumer,
> it can be an authentication provider, so if I blog at http://torrez.us/
> then I can use that identity to comment on any other OpenID-enabled
> WordPress and many other sites that are starting to offer OpenID support.
>
> If you would like to see how simple is to support OpenID providers, you
> may read Sam Ruby's post on OpenID for non super users [9].
>
> Also, it's worth noting that WordPress.com is already a provider of
> OpenID identities [11].
>
> Anyways, I'm just trying to restart the discussion.
>
> -Elias
> http://torrez.us/
>
> [1]http://openid.net/
> [2]http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2006-February/004416.html