[wp-hackers] Re: Adding HTML Elements to TinyMCE

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:49:43 GMT 2007

On 3/6/07, Chris Williams <chris at clwill.com> wrote:
> But in the process, we've lost something.  I have to agree with the
> original poster.
>
> I use the visual editor, but also add my own <div>s and such.  I get the
> advantage of having a nice link dialog, a single button for blockquotes,
> bold, italic, etc.  Now, if I have to type in all the HTML, well... as I
> said, we've lost something.
>
> What exactly was the problem that was being fixed here?  Were people
> trying to get < and/or > in their text and not understanding they had to
> use &lt; ?  Is it possible to hook that behavior for those of us who
> have lost something?  I would be happy to write a plug-in that would
> "unfix" this behavior for those that want it...

Egads, it's like it's 2005 all over again.

We hashed this all out when 2.0 shipped as an alpha - the visual
editor is WYSIWYG for those who could care less about the difference
between a <div> and a <span> and want "<" displayed when they type
"<".

The option to switch between the two modes, as added in 2.1,
effectively makes any arguments against the visual editor null and
void.  How exactly is giving a non-HTML-savvy user the ability to
output good HTML a BAD thing?

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/