[wp-hackers] p inside blockquote

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Thu Mar 1 04:37:53 GMT 2007

If you use a <blockquote ... /> in a post,  autop in 2.1.1 will nest
the quoted content inside a <p> tag within the blockquote. I think
this is happening in wp-include/formatting.php:

$pee = preg_replace('|<p><blockquote([^>]*)>|i', "<blockquote$1><p>",
$pee);

There is no XHTML rule that says this should happen. Create a test
document with a blockquote, without the inner p, and validate it.
It's fine. Both p and blockquote are block-level HTML elements. Why
nest one inside the other? This behavior is breaking CSS designs that
put a vertical rule to the left of a blockquote - suddenly the
vertical rule is extending above and below the quoted text.

It seems like someone must have added this behavior intentionally,
but why? I think lines 70&71 in formatting.php should be canned. Or
is there something I'm not understanding here?

Scot