[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Marci O'Daffer marci at odaffer.net
Tue Jun 26 17:44:49 GMT 2007

If I'm not mistaken, Otto, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you're
advocating the addition of WP features to turn plain ol' "links" into what
you call "bookmarks"....additional programming to make them behave in ways
they don't by nature....is that correct? And these are mostly not things WP
links/bookmarks are capable of right now, right? I keep hearing you say you
"want" your WP links to behave in all these different ways, but they don't
right now. So basically, you're actually advocating a change in the entire
function of links/bookmarks/blogroll, not just a naming convention. Am I
getting close? :)

I'm not opposed to extending the functionality of links to include being
able to make them behave in new and trendy ways, but ultimately they are
still links. And I still think MOST people are still just going to want to
make links.

Otto, you have a great use for social bookmarks and lots of ideas for them
that I have no objection to whatsover.... but it has been my understanding
that the developers of WP want to keep the core pretty basic, and relegate
the unique, extended functionality to plugins. Maybe that is the best way.
If you want your links to do all those things, perhaps you (or someone)
could write a plugin. Then others who want their links to do that, can have
it, and the rest of WP users can have their plain ol' links.

Just a thought...

Marci :)
PS I would like to hear from the devs too. This is only a bikeshed
discussion if they say it is. :)