[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 26 16:11:23 GMT 2007

On 6/26/07, Justin Moore <wantmoore at gmail.com> wrote:
> This really has gone on a lot longer than it should, as it's already
> been called a bikeshed.

Calling it a bikeshed issue doesn't actually make it one. And I'll go
further to say that this is not actually a bikeshed issue. What is at
issue here is the larger concept of what, exactly, the "blogroll"
functionality is supposed to do and/or be.

I'm betting that a lot of people advocating "links" here don't
actually use the blogroll for a whole lot, right? Anybody care to
dispute that? Who here uses it for more than simply an easy way to add
links into their sidebar?

What I would like the Bookmarks to become is more than that. I want:
-Tagging and categorizing
-Full category integration with Posts and Bookmarks (they share
categories and all categories show up in all places)
-Rating (still in the database, but the user interface has been removed)
-The ability to integrate Bookmarks I post into the Loop by adding
timestamps to them when they are added/posted and pulling those in as
well... including into RSS feeds
-The equivalent of "Post by Email" for Bookmarks...
-Integration of Bookmarks with other social bookmarking services, like
del.icio.us and others... synchronize between them
-Yes, integration of Bookmarks with my browser.. This may mean nothing
more than an OPML list of my bookmarks, or it may mean adding an RSS
feed capability to them.

And so on. Again, if all you use it for is links in the sidebar, then
why have this functionality at all? There's nothing there that a Text
widget can't do.