[wp-hackers] WP and Plugins DB connection conflicts

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Jun 26 13:47:19 GMT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:36:27 +1000, Jennifer Hodgdon
<yahgrp at poplarware.com> wrote:
> I believe the usual thing for a plugin is to use $wpdb to do database
> queries, rather than creating its own database connections. Is there
> some reason these plugins cannot be rewritten to do that? It might mean
> adding a require() line somewhere, to make sure $wpdb has been
> initialized, but then there would be no conflict.

I think the issue arrises when a Plugin wants to access a seperate
database than Wordpress's.
I saw a Trac ticket which refered to something similar earlier actually:
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2722
the solution in the Ticket description isnt the best though.