[wp-hackers] Disable feedback for pages option

Leonid Mamchenkov leonid at mamchenkov.net
Tue Jun 26 13:20:35 GMT 2007

Hi,

On 6/26/07, Rob Miller <r at robm.me.uk> wrote:
> Peter Westwood wrote:
> > These can easily be changed when you create the page.
> >
> > Adding extra options for every type of content object seems to me to be a
> > case of over engineering the number of options.
> >
> Indeed, plus the fact that it would be trivial to write a plugin to
> achieve this (when a post is saved, check if it's a page and if so
> disable comments and trackbacks for it).

That's not the goal.  The user should still have the control of
whether he wants to have pings/comments enabled for each particular
post or not.  It's the matter of the default.  If it's a page
(something time-less, often forever, and often rarely changed) than
can we please have no comments or pings unless we specifically want
so.   If it's a post (something current, something very time related)
than sure, why not have pings/comments from others who care about this
type of thing right now.

Here is an example to illustrate better.  A WP-based web site for a
company which publishes news about itself, has some static information
(like About Us), and has a product or service catalogue.  Now, they
have comments/pings for their news section (posts). They don't want to
have pings/comments for their products section in general, but a few
exceptions, when they want to learn who is writing about their new
product/service.

Like this, they'd allow comments/pings for posts.  Switch off the
default for pages, and only use it occasionally.

--
Leonid Mamchenkov