[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Marci O'Daffer marci at odaffer.net
Tue Jun 19 06:12:43 GMT 2007

Chris,
John Blackburn pointed out this link: Please see the latest comment on
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3695 but that discussion ends when Matt
says "it's going to happen". I'm not sure where it goes from there.

I'm with you on Links for the most part, b/c it's what most non-programmers
and non-bloggers think of when they think of what we call bookmarks or
blogroll. I do understand the position of those who have said "but these are
much more than links", but ultimately some of us have to deal with real
people who will connect best with the idea of Links.

I'm on the fence about bookmarks, but I'm definitely not liking blogroll,
just b/c I use WP as a CMS for most clients, so that title is totally
irrelevant to them, when they admin their own site. To the average user,
"bookmarks" are in browsers and word processors and spreadsheets, but
"links" are on websites, and take you from one website to another. So, all
(or most?) things considered, I'm still camping with the Links folks.

That said, it might be kinda cool to allow the user to choose their "label"
during set up, and that way everyone is happy. :)

Marci :)