[wp-hackers] Security Releases Proposal

Matt speedboxer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 01:33:41 GMT 2007

I think it might be even better, for security issues related to just a few
files/lines of code, to also release along site the new version fxing it, is
to release a text file that has what code to find, and what to replace it
with, so more advanced users can upgrade even faster.

On 6/11/07, Lloyd Budd <lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have read a lot of feedback about WordPress 2.2, and it is largely
> very positive!
>
> I think for the future it is important to maintain (severe) security
> releases for the previous version until at least after feedback is
> received on the first maintenance releast of the new version.
>
> For example, step in my time machine:
> 2.1.4 would have been released if new severe security issues, instead
> of focusing that we were really close to releasing 2.2 and that it
> addressed the issue.
> 2.2 released
> 2.1.n released if any new severe security issue
> 2.2.1 released
> 2.1.n released if any new severe security issue, waiting on feedback
> regarding 2.2.1 then retire 2.1 branch.
>
> This may feel like quite a bit of additional work, but it should be
> manageable by only addressing severe security issues. On our short
> development cycle this also gives theme and plugin authors time to
> update.
>
> I think this will better match what WordPressers want.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | 250-885-1744
> WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com

---
Matt (speedboxer at gmail.com)
http://mattsblog.ca/ | http://livemp.net/