[wp-hackers] WordPress Uses "Wrong" Apostrophe in Blog Title

Matt speedboxer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:45:17 GMT 2007

On 7/7/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> It either supports it or ignores it, I'm not sure.
>
> For example, Google for "lightroom's odd vista incompatibility" and Google
> properly returns the blog entry "Fix Lightroom's odd Vista incompatibility",
> which only uses the proper typographical apostrophe.
>
> Technically, Unicode 8217 /is/ an apostrophe, in the sense that it's the
> preferred glyph for both a closing single quote and an apostrophe.  The old
> typewriter glyph is mainly an artifact of a 7-bit character set and the
> limitations of mechanical typewriters.

But, &apos; (the preferred apostrophe code by W3C, but not very many, if
any, browsers support it) is the same as &#39;. Otherwise, why would the W3C
recommend using it instead of &apos; for backwards-compatability.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/guidelines.html#C_16

--
Matt (speedboxer at gmail.com)
http://mattsblog.ca/ | http://livemp.net/