[wp-hackers] Drop PHP4 support entirely?

Matt speedboxer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 20:52:51 GMT 2007

On 7/7/07, Jamie Holly <hovercrafter at earthlink.net> wrote:

> That is what I was more or less getting at. I don't see a bunch of users
> pushing their hosting companies (or fleeing them) if a new version of WP
> comes out and lacks a reason to make them want to switch. If there isn't
> some great new features, then they will most likely stick with the status
> quo (look at the number of sites still running 2.0.x and even 1.5.x).
>
> Now if the GOPHP5 people can get Netenberg to join in and say that the
> software offered by Fantastico will require PHP5, then the odds of this
> being successful just skyrocketed. :D

Making WPDB use PDO would be a big enough feature. If the power of it is
explained to users...

Actually, Fantastico is one of the reasons why hosts aren't making PHP 5
default. Since many of the programs installed by Fantastico aren't PHP 5
compatible, hosts have to make sure they work...

Also, on another note, users that use cPanel could easily use it to switch
to PHP 5 (if that's how their host allows them to switch to PHP5, via,
AddHandler). They would just go to the "Apache Handler" page and type in
.php in the extension box and application/x-httpd-php5 in the handler box.
They could then add .php4 (it's hard to tell if hosts have this avaiable by
default) with application/x-httpd-php as the handler. Much simpler than
using .htaccess. All it does is edit .htaccess automatically.

--
Matt (speedboxer at gmail.com)
http://mattsblog.ca/ | http://livemp.net/