[wp-hackers] Drop PHP4 support entirely?

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Sat Jul 7 15:17:14 GMT 2007

Hi Charles -

On Jul 6, 2007, at 5:49 PM, Charles wrote:

>> I for one applaud WordPress's resistance to holding its users
>> hostage for the sake of software politics.
>
> Whoa there, I think this is just about resources for most of us.
> Supporting
> multiple major releases of PHP has a cost.

OK - that was a little dramatic of me. But the "force a change"
attitude makes it feel implicitly political to me.

>> WordPress's job is to make software that meets the needs of
>> current users, while maximizing the likelihood of adoption
>> by future users.
>
> So you have figures for what percentage of sites are running
> WordPress on
> PHP4?

No - nothing like that. I was not trying to represent that I did. But
if you look at what I was responding to in your message, it was pretty
open-ended, suggesting gutlessness or poor leadership as the core of
the problem.  So I just meant to suggest that market bravado is not
particularly WordPress's resonsibility.

Daniel