[wp-hackers] Enhance WP to use page categories

Chris chris.hearn01 at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 21 14:12:08 GMT 2007

Hello,
Wordpress has expanded from a straight blog app. to include the very
useful static pages etc. This seems to me (a newbie to Wordpress, but
experienced in PHP/MySQL etc) to allow the opportunity to create
complete web-sites which have a consistent theme throughout, many static
pages, and _part_ of the site includes blog/news and comments etc. This
would make Wordpress a really useful and more generic tool!

However, it does not seem possible to categorize pages so that there is
a "public view" accessible to all, and a "members" view, which might
include the public view, but also show more restricted pages.
In $wpdb the wp_posts.post_category is only used for posts at present
(and in version 2.1???) - could it also be used for page categories?
A solution might be to create categories for the static pages (e.g.
public, members), and then give menus of pages based on status of
logged-in/not logged in.(i.e. the page category)

Has this already been done? Is there any change in 2.1 that would render
this idea incompatible? (as I wish to implement it for a club website I
am building)
Thanks
Chris

    Chris Hearn
    *Tel:* 01625 827589
    *Mob:* 07768 725141
    *email:* chris.hearn01 at ntlworld.com
    material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
    or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
    or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
    If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
    material from any computer.