[wp-hackers] filtering posts

Nathan Olsen nateomedia at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 19:43:17 GMT 2007

add_filter seems to get processed before anything gets
called on a template. So, if my plugin is called on
the template, nothing that I do within my plugin will
effect the add_filter function that I set up. I tried
setting up a global variable and was losing my mind
trying to understand why it wasn't working. I echo'd
the variable and the modified $where statement that
was supposed to be happening through add_filter and
could not understand why my variable was showing up on
it's own but not in the function I had set-up through
add_filter... until I realized that the add_filter had
happened a long time ago. :)

add_filter cannot, it seems, be called from within a
function either. So, I can't have my plugin get called
and then have add_filter run then. That would work
fine! But it's not possible. :(

What needs to happen:

page loads -> plugin called? -> yes -> grab IDs of
posts to display, eliminate all others -> run loop

page loads -> plugin called? -> no -> run loop

Your suggestion of setting up a debugger is a good
one. I've been working on this plugin for a year and
I'm embarrassed to admit I've never used one. :) That
sounds helpful. Thanks.