[wp-hackers] WP-Manage: Automatic WP backups and upgrades with PHP

Aaron Brazell abrazell at b5media.com
Fri Jan 19 17:31:55 GMT 2007

I was going to stay out as I had made my comments but there's just
something else I need to say. :-) All in the spirit of dialogue, right?

This tool assumes you're responsible for the upgrades, right? I'm not
clear on this.

If you are responsible for the upgrades then you have to manually
login (via FTP, SSH whatever) to change perms. Then you run the
script. Then you log back in and change perms again. Theoretically
you remember all the various passwords, but perhaps you don't and
have to fish around through emails or god forbid find the password on
the post it note taped to the bottom of your keyboard. My point is
that this is not really an efficient way even if it just is a right
click, properties, chmod 777.

Being that I'm not clear if this is intended for the person
responsible for all the upgrades (i.e. you) or if it's left to Dr.
Mike's soccer moms to do, let's take the other approach. The soccer
mom's have to upgrade. Okay, so now how do you teach THEM to chmod
their directories and then chmod them back when they are done.

I don't want to ruin your enthusiasm. I love options and I love
Brian's script and the idea behind yours. Anything that makes
automation better is the way to go in my book. I live this philosophy
and am always learning new things. So don't misunderstand me.

With the shell script, assuming you are the one responsible for all
these upgrades on different servers, why can't you just modify a
script (or write your own) that uses PHP's FTP functions. Then you
can automate the whole thing with a click of the button and you don't
have to worry about the soccer mom's screwing things up, or having to
go through and remember passwords, click around, maybe click on the
wrong things, etc. It eliminates the fallible human modus operandi
(which I'm thrilled to have used in a sentence for the second time
this week) that makes mistakes.

Food for thought.
--
Aaron Brazell