[wp-hackers] Introduction & Question

Angsuman Chakraborty angsuman at taragana.com
Fri Jan 19 04:17:52 GMT 2007

A lot of WordPress coding decision are guided by backward compatibility as
it should be. So a decision to use stored procedures should be backed by:

1. Actual tests with prototype demonstrating performance benefits. I don't
think there would be significant benefits as there aren't many repetitive
queries.
Queries can be cached if you use object caching. Also the whole page is
cached if you use page caching plugin like wp-cache 2. Normally application
servers benefit from using stored procedures. WordPress serves requests
using PHP in a one-off fashion. Unless it is redesigned to take advantage of
persistence of data across requests, stored procedures isn't going to help
much.

2. Automatic Fallback to using plain SQL queries to support earlier MySQL
version

--Angsuman