[wp-hackers] User folders for themes, plug-ins

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Thu Jan 18 19:04:42 GMT 2007

> I offered to help with implementation but if we can't find agreement
> on the scope of work than I'll spend my time on something else.  If
> I'm the only person standing on this side of the fence, I won't
> pick a fight.

This can be made unnecessarily complex, but solving the current problem (of
mixed user and system files in folders) is straightforward:

- Add "My Themes" and "My Plug-Ins" folders to the root folder.*

- Whenever the same theme exists in the user folder and the system folder,
prefer the theme from the user folder.

- Whenever the same plug-in exists in the user folder and the system folder,
prefer the theme from the user folder unless it's older than the plug-in
from the system folder.

Once this is implemented, users who like how it works now can still use WP
that way.

-- Charles

*I can hear a couple folks sneering at the names, but I've walked enough
people through WP installations and upgrades that I'm confident that proper
names (i.e. for people) and locations (i.e. not buried) would really help.