[wp-hackers] User folders for themes, plug-ins

Steve Lewis stevelle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 18:35:32 GMT 2007

On 1/18/07, Brian Layman <Brian at thecodecave.com> wrote:

.htaccess is only written to if the WordPress install has access to write to
it, but the app still functions if it can't.
And that writing to .htaccess is merely for adding the mod_rewrite rules
AFAIK.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm not so sure this issue really needs to be fixed, as it has not caused
> problems even up to this point.

The mix of customized files amongst standard files is peeving.  It makes
backups either unnecessarily wasteful or complex.  It makes upgrading more
of a chore than it need be. See also your upgrade script (which I haven't
taken the time to try to adapt).

So, solutions that break a bunch of plugins, for a bunch of users, seem to
> be inappropriate if fixing the issue for a very limited number of servers
> is
> the main pay off.

sorta like deprecating $table_* purely for stylistic purposes? :)

I think your point is valid.  We might be too far down the road with the
current directory structure to change short of a 3.0 release.

I offered to help with implementation but if we can't find agreement on the
scope of work than I'll spend my time on something else.  If I'm the only
person standing on this side of the fence, I won't pick a fight.

--
SteveL