[wp-hackers] Upgrade instructions fatally flawed for Mac

Andy Staines andy at yellowswordfish.com
Wed Jan 17 19:42:36 GMT 2007

> On 1/17/07, Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com> wrote:
>> As I said above - it effects anyone who may (unlikely perhaps but not
>> impossible) be using OSX Server. Forget FTP -  it is irrelevant. A
>> folder replace on OSX (server of otherwise) replaces ALL contents.
>> Same for people like me running an Apache server on my iMac. And
>> users may not be aware that they are being hosted on OSX...
>
> This still does not ring true to me. MacOS X FTP server software will
> follow the FTP protocol.
>
> It is quite some time ago that I experienced this, but in my
> experience it was Finder, and I recall using other file managers on
> Mac OS X that did not destroy-replace folders.
>
> What FTP client are you using? Finder? Or are you using Finder locally
> on your server?

I thought we'd all established that this is nothing to do with FTP.
It is the way OSX operates. Copy a folder onto an existing folder
with the same name and the original content is wiped and replaced by
the new content. That will include any sub-folders that may have been
in there as well. Forget FTP - it's nothing to do with FTP. It's how
OSX will deal with the command.

The suggest by Charles above is, of course, a smart idea but hard at
this point, I assume to switch to. All the original guy was
suggesting was better documentation to guard against people wiping wp-
content altogether. Not too much to have asked for I would have thought.