[wp-hackers] Upgrade instructions fatally flawed for Mac

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Wed Jan 17 18:43:06 GMT 2007

> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:20:51 +0000
> From: Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com>
>
> As I said above - it effects anyone who may (unlikely perhaps but not
> impossible) be using OSX Server. Forget FTP -  it is irrelevant. A
> folder replace on OSX (server of otherwise) replaces ALL contents.
> Same for people like me running an Apache server on my iMac. And
> users may not be aware that they are being hosted on OSX...

Sidebar: My usual upgrade method is to unpack the tarball directly
into the user's blog directory, which neatly overwrites all changed
files without touching unchanged  stuff . But since the official
tarball  unpacks into a "wordpress" parent directory, I first create
a new tarball from within a temporary wordpress directory, which I
can then scp into users' individual blog directories and unpack. If I
could  tell the tar command  to unpack its contents into a
destination dir without creating the "wordpress" parent directory,
this process would be easier. But I have not been able to find a tar
flag to do that. Suggestions?

I've often wished there was a downloadable archive that didn't unpack
with a parent directory (but I also know that would  annoy users
unpacking it to their desktops or wherever, so there isn't a
snowball's chance of that happening).

Scot