[wp-hackers] Codex updates for 2.1?

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Wed Jan 17 15:41:59 GMT 2007

I am cross-posting this to the Hackers and Docs lists, because I think
it may require input from both communities.

Being a programmer who loves clear documentation, I've been looking
over the about-to-be-released code for WordPress 2.1, and I have
noticed that several things have changed that a plugin or theme
developer would want to know (new filters, some functions deprecated,
etc.). I have also noticed that the Codex could probably use a bit of
reorganization (it looks like several people have discussed this
recently in the Docs list archives; I just joined the list).

So what I am wondering is:

a) Are there plans to update the developer section of the Codex for
2.1 changes? I didn't see any in the Docs list archives for Dec/Jan,
and I just joined the list, so I am not sure.

b) I am also wondering if it might make sense to start a whole new
developer area in the Wiki for 2.1, and in the process, reorganize the
existing developer documentation a bit.

c) Once 2.1 is out, will the Wiki need to keep around all the
information for 2.0.x as well?  For how long? And do we need some
documentation on the changes (such as what a developer needs to do to
ensure plugin and theme migration, avoid deprecated functions, etc.)?

Thoughts? And yes, I am offering to help, and maybe even to organize
projects around this...

     --Jennifer