[wp-hackers] WordPress 2.0.7 final, changes zip, diff

Scott Yang scott.yang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 05:16:02 GMT 2007

I only have around 25 blogsites to manage, but I found using Gentoo
Linux's webapp-config you can upgrade your web applications very
quickly. If you don't take into account the setup cost, 0.5 sec/blog
is certainly very achievable.

Here's a rough routine

1. Create a wordpress-2.0.7.ebuild (30 seconds). It's actually quite
easy -> just copy the one from wordpress-2.0.6 (which was copied from
previous versions). Gentoo ebuilds instruct how source file is
downloaded, which ones are configuration files, which files are owned
by webserver, etc.

2. Emerge WordPress 2.0.7 (15 seconds)

$ emerge wordpress

3. Run upgrade! I have all sites under /var/www, so

cd /var/www
for site in *; do
  if [ -f $site/htdocs/wp-config.php ]; then
    webapp-config -U -h $site -d / wordpress 2.0.7
    curl http://$site/wp-admin/upgrade.php?step=1 > /dev/null 2>&1
  fi
done

Gentoo's webapp-config DOES NOT copy the Wordpress files onto each
site, but instead it uses hard links so its pretty quick and space
efficient. When I run it it's definitely running faster than
0.5sec/site (on a 256Mb VPS).

Cheers,

Scott