[wp-hackers] WP and FeedBurner Disconnects

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sat Jan 6 07:37:49 GMT 2007

Oh god no!!!!!!!! Please!!

I've been talking to FB developers on and off for a month now. On *my* 2.1
blog, I get this all the time. I was doing them a favor, and trying to find
out where the problem lay. We haven't found a solution yet.....

But I do know the problem (and a workaround). IT's to do with the 304
headers and cache-control with conditional get clients. It seems that either
WP sends invalid 304 headers under certain circumstances or that FB's
conditional get client (which works great under other blogging engines) is
somehow fubaring the results.

This is also good news in a way. It means that the changeset is tiny: only
the files changed between 2.0.5 and 2.0.6  are responsible for this error.

The workaround isn't pretty, it involves pointing FB to a scraper file that
doesn't muck around with 304 redirects -  I'm blogging it now. Be forewarned
though, FeedBurner hits your feed up a couple of hundred times a day (or at
least mine), and if you don't have the bandwidth to support that, disabling
304 can be trouble.

FB encounters this error only when it runs into a non-changed page - so it
will always have the latest content, but your users will get a invalid XML
page all the while :(

My FB feed: http://neosmart.net/blog/feed/

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies