[wp-hackers] Checking plugins versions

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Tue Jan 2 12:01:42 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 03:21 -0800, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Alex Günsche wrote:
> > Plugin authors would provide this information in a standardized way,
> > e.g. in an XML file. This file could be put into a central repository,
> > or the plugin itself could carry the information where the update file
> > is. Creating the update file could be simplified and standardised with a
> > small generator form.
>
> Hopefully this can be something we can bake into WordPress after the
> plugin directory is done.

I think it might be better to implement this as a plugin, for similar
reasons as Akismet is a plugin: People could upgrade it more often than
WP itself, they could deactivate it if they don't need it. Or have I
overlooked something?

If you are interested, I could develop a prototype and make it available
for review.

Regards,
Alex

(P.S. Sorry if this becomes a double post, there seems to be a problem
with my GPG-signed messages on this particular list.)

--
Alex Günsche, http://www.zirona.com/
Public GPG-Key: http://www.zirona.com/misc/ag.ml2007.asc